Four Members of Ohio Family Charged in Alleged Sex Abuse Case
Athens County Prosecutor Press Release
Four members of the Bellar family indicted on charges related to ongoing sexual abuse of previously missing teen
ATHENS, Ohio – Four family members related to Serah Bellar, who was reported missing on April 3, 2020, at the age of 16, were indicted by an Athens County Grand Jury on Tuesday.
Robert, 54, and Deborah Bellar, 49, of Athens, parents of Serah Bellar and 17 other children, are charged with engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, a second-degree felony, and two charges of endangering children, both third-degree felonies. The endangering children charge list Serah Bellar and another child as victims.
Josiah and Jonathan Bellar, two of Serah Bellar’s brothers, are also charged.
Josiah Bellar, 24, was indicted on three counts of rape, each first-degree felonies, and two counts of gross sexual imposition, both fourth-degree felonies. The charges allege two different juvenile victims were involved. The rape incidents are alleged to have occurred between January 2011-2014, April 2015-2016 and April 2008-2016. The gross sexual imposition incidents allegedly took place between April 2008-2016 also.
Jonathan Bellar, 26, is also accused of gross sexual imposition, a fourth-degree felony. One of the victims involved in the other cases is listed as a victim of Jonathan Bellar’s actions as well and the offense allegedly took place between April 2008-2016.
Serah Bellar, originally of Amesville, resurfaced in late April with a Facebook post from an account under a pseudonym. In her post, she said she wanted to wait until she was 18 years old to come forward, fearing for her safety. The post described numerous allegations, including sexual assault, involving the Bellar family.
The Athens County Sheriff’s Office worked to positively identify Bellar and assisted with search warrants while Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn launched an investigation with the cooperation of other law enforcement agencies to begin unraveling the history behind Bellar’s disappearance.
According to the indictment against Robert and Deborah Bellar, the two obstructed justice, tampered with evidence and conspired to conceal sexual abuse within the home. Athens County Children Services received reports in February 2017, May 2018 and April 2020 that sexual abuse was occurring in the Bellar home. Despite these reports and records provided by Athens County Children Services and the Athens County Child Advocacy Center, no formal action was taken.
“There was an absolute systematic failure in handling these accusations,” Blackburn said. “Serah was turned away by authorities every time she tried to report this abuse. Fearing for her continued safety, she left the state and was victimized again by those who she thought were helping her.”
During the investigation, Blackburn, Chief Investigator Barrett, Chief Assistant Pepper, First Assistant Saunders, and other investigators traveled to Bellar’s location in Georgia. With the help of Sheriff Alvie Lee Kight Jr. and the Toombs County Sheriff’s Office as well as the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, two other suspects, Jerry and Shayna Chadwick, were taken into custody and charged with interfering with custody.
Deborah Bellar has been taken into custody. A nationwide arrest warrant has been issued for Robert Bellar.
The case remains under investigation.
If you know Robert Bellar whereabouts.
Send us a Tip at: [email protected] or
For an immediate sighting, please dial 9-1-1
Por favor llame la línea de Los
Fugitivos en 1-800-9-CAUGHT (1-800-922-8448)
o texto en 408-355-0999
o enviar un correo electrónico a [email protected],
si usted sabe su paradero.
Si usted ve esta persona en este momento, llame al 9-1-1
NOTICE: All persons depicted are presumed to be innocent unless proven to be guilty in a court of law. The fugitive.com and fugitivewatch.com notations appearing on this are TRADEMARKS and NOT an expression of fact or opinion.
AVISO: Todas las personas representadas son presumidas de ser inocente a menos que resultara culpable en un tribunal de justicia. Fugitive.com y fugitivewatch.com anotaciones que aparecen en este sitio son MARCAS REGISTRADAS y NO una expresión de hecho o de opinión.
COMMENT ADVISEMENT: We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.
AVISO DE COMENTARIO: Damos la bienvenida a tus pensamientos, pero por el bien de todos los lectores, por favor abstenerse de la utilización de obscenidades, ataques personales o insultos racistas. Todos los comentarios están sujetos a nuestros términos y condiciones del servicio, y podrá ser retirado. Reincidentes pueden perder privilegios comentar.
Fugitive Watch was founded in 1992 by two San Jose police officers, Steve Ferdin and Scott Castruita. Fugitive Watch is a reality-based television show, newspaper and website, fugitive.com. We can also be found on social media such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. The mission of Fugitive Watch is to make Your community safer by helping law enforcement fight crime. Fugitive Watch brings the community, local business, and law enforcement together to solve crimes, apprehend wanted fugitives and provide education and crime prevention information to the community.
Business and private sponsorship help Fugitive Watch empower the community to strike back at crime from the safety of their living rooms. Fugitive Watch has been credited by law enforcement with over several 2,890 crimes solved or fugitives apprehended. Fugitive Watch also helps improve the safety of police officers by locating fugitives for law enforcement so they can more safely arrest them rather than unexpectedly running across them through extremely dangerous routine “chance encounters”. As law enforcement officers know all too well, These “chance encounters” have resulted in countless officer injuries and deaths.