San Francisco Bay Area Violent Crime

Oakland Double Murder Charges Dismissed Against Antonio Belvine Jr.

The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office today dismissed all charges against a three-time felon who was charged with two counts of murder and the special circumstance of committing multiple murders for the fatal shootings of two men in East Oakland last year.

Antonio Belvine Jr., 38, was arrested at his Stockton home on July 12, 2017, for the shooting deaths of Jose Gamero, 27, and Pedro Gonzalez, 32, both of Oakland, in the 9500 block of Birch Street at 5:44 p.m. on June 11, 2017.

Gamero and Gonzalez were pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting.

In addition to the two murder counts and the special circumstance of committing multiple murders, Belvine was charged with assault with a semiautomatic firearm, shooting at an occupied motor vehicle and two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Oakland police haven’t released a motive for the fatal shootings.

Officer Yun Zhou wrote in a probable cause statement last year that investigators determined that Belvine approached Gamero and Gonzalez while they were inside the truck and shot them multiple times and witnesses later identified him as the gunman.

But prosecutor David Stein told Alameda County Superior Court Judge James Cramer at a brief hearing today that he was moving to dismiss the charges against Belvine based on his review of the evidence in the case. Cramer granted the motion.

After the hearing, Belvine’s lawyer Todd Bequette said, “To have double murder charges dismissed is a source of tremendous relief to my client and his family.”

Bequette said Belvine “has steadfastly maintained his innocence” since he was arrested and charged.

The defense lawyer said Belvine, who grew up in Oakland, “was in the wrong place at the wrong time” because he was outside a relative’s home in the area where the shooting occurred and was “mistakenly identified” as the shooter.

“A thorough review of the evidence reveals that he is innocent,” Bequette said.

“It is a credit to District Attorney Nancy O’Malley and Deputy District Attorney David Stein for exercising prosecutorial discretion” in dismissing the charges and not bringing the case to trial, he said.

This was the second straight day that the District Attorney’s Office dismissed a murder charge. On Monday it dismissed a murder charge against Olga Gisel Salgado, 19, for her alleged role in the fatal shooting of Maynor Funes-Salgado, 17, in the 1100 block of East 23rd Street at about 6:30 p.m. on April 2.

Belvine was convicted of second-degree commercial burglary in 2002, possession of marijuana in 2003 and for sale of a controlled substance in 2005, but Bequette said Belvine has “turned his life around” since that time and is now focused on working and raising several children.

Belvine has been held without bail at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin since he was arrested but Bequette said he’ll be released later today.

Copyright © 2018 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment