San Francisco Bay Area Violent Crime

Fremont Police Use Taser on Woman Who Allegedly Wielded Knife at Them

A woman was shot with a Taser Saturday in Fremont when she allegedly wielded a knife at police who were responding to a home after someone there called dispatchers screaming, police said.

At 5:39 p.m., officers responded to a home in the southern part of the city. In addition to the female caller screaming, dispatchers heard others screaming in the background during the call, according to police. When officers arrived a person came outside and spoke with police. He then went back in and police went up to the house and looked through the open front door.

Officers saw a woman with a phone in one hand and a pile of clothes in the other. Police said the woman suddenly dropped the clothing and pulled out a knife, waving it at officers who were about 4 feet away. Police spokeswoman Geneva Bosques said the officers had told the woman more than once to drop the knife but she didn’t. Officers stepped back and one officer drew his gun while the other shot a Taser at the woman. The Taser shot caused the woman to drop the knife and police handcuffed her.

Police said officers located a family member with a knife wound that was not considered life-threatening. The family member initially refused medical care but officers convinced her to seek treatment. When doctors treated her, they found she had more than one wound, Bosques said.

She was treated and released from the hospital. Officers took the suspect to the hospital for a medical evaluation and police plan to seek criminal charges once the suspect is released from the hospital. Bosques said most police staff members have the training to deal with people suffering from a mental illness and the Police Department has a mental health evaluation team but police were dispatched on an “ascertain the problem” call.

“It all happened real, real fast,” Bosques said.

According to Bosques, the suspect had also allegedly swung the knife at family members and was very upset with her family. The officers were glad that the incident ended as it did and that no one else was injured, Bosques said.

Copyright 2018 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment