General Crime

Monterey Resident Sentenced For Attempting To Kidnap Child

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

A 36-year-old man was sentenced Thursday for trying to kidnap a 10-year-old boy from a Seaside fast food restaurant last year, according to the Monterey County District Attorney. Superior Court Judge Julie Culver sentenced Salvador Perez to five years in prison for the attempted kidnapping of the child on Nov. 27, prosecutors said. Around 1:45 p.m. that day, the boy was at the restaurant with his grandmother when Perez grabbed his arm and told him “let’s go,” prosecutors said. The grandmother tried to hold on to the boy, but Perez knocked her down to the ground, according to prosecutors. Another customer tackled the suspect, who was able to escape by slipping out of his jacket and run away, prosecutors said.

Officers responded to the area and found Perez blocks away from the restaurant, according to prosecutors. Perez has a strike under the state’s three strikes law for a 2007 conviction of felony criminal threats made against his estranged wife, prosecutors said. The judge denied Perez’s motion to not consider the strike against him in the sentence because of his dangerous behavior, according to prosecutors. The judge also said the defendant’s action was one feared by many parents, who don’t want their child getting kidnapped by a stranger in broad daylight, prosecutors said. The good Samaritan who helped stop the kidnapping sent a letter to the court that detailed the events of the incident in which everyone at the restaurant cried and screamed, according to prosecutors. The 10-year-old boy and his family weren’t present in court for the sentencing, prosecutors said.

Copyright © 2016 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment