General Crime

Parolee Armed with Bayonet Shot and Killed by Stockton Police After Violent Domestic Violence Call

1 batt 400

Stockton Police Department Press Release 2/9/14

On February 8, 2014, at 10:15 pm, Officers were called to a residence in the 1500 block of Carpenter Road on a report a male assaulting a female. When Officers arrived, they a heard a female screaming inside the residence. As Officers went inside the house, they saw the suspect, later identified as parolee Donald Hayes, drag a female into a room and close the door. Officers could still hear the woman screaming from inside the room. Officers tried to open the door, but it was locked. Officers then kicked in the door and saw the suspect physically assaulting the victim.

As Officers were trying to take the suspect into custody, the suspect told the officers that they were going to have to kill him. The suspect was able to break free from the Officers and ran away from the residence. Due to this being a domestic violence case, the victim was provided an Emergency Protective Order protecting her from the suspect. Officers learned the suspect was Donald Haynes, a 45 year old man, on parole for assault with a deadly weapon.

This morning, February 9, 2014, at 11:00 am, Officers were following up on this case when they saw a vehicle of interest. Officers made a traffic stop on the vehicle on Airport Way just north of Sixth Street. As an Officer approached the vehicle, he saw the suspect in the backseat. The suspect came out of the car and confronted the Officer with a 19 ½ inch bayonet. Officers ordered the suspect to drop the bayonet and the suspect did not comply.

Officer Robert Johnson III, fired his weapon three times at the suspect, striking him at least once. The suspect fell backwards and Officers could not see his hands. Officers told the suspect to put his hands out. The suspect did not comply with the Officers order. Officers at this point deescalated the use of force and deployed a K9. The suspect still did not comply and an Officer hit the suspect with a baton. Officers were then able to take the suspect into custody and provided medical treatment until Medics could arrive. The suspect was transported to a local area hospital where he died from his injuries.

1 YB and waiver

Leave a Comment