A Santa Barbara man charged with attempted murder for allegedly stabbing his friend seven times during an argument following a San Francisco 49ers game last month postponed entering a plea today in San Mateo County Superior Court. Dustin Semenza, 28, bearded and wearing an orange county jail-issued suit spoke briefly with his appointed public defender Peter Goldscheider before his attorney asked the court to provide him with three week’s time to evaluate the case. Charges against Semenza include attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said today.
Enhancements attached to the two counts include premeditation, deliberation and causing great bodily harm, Wagstaffe said. Semenza gave no expression from behind the glass partition when Goldscheider addressed the court on his behalf. Semenza will remain in jail on no bail status until he enters a plea on Nov. 4, Superior Court Judge Susan Greenberg declared in court. Semenza, his alleged victim and the victim’s brother, were in town to see the San Francisco 49ers take on the Indianapolis Colts Sunday, Sept. 22. The Colts beat the 49ers 27 to 7.
Following the game, the victim’s brother accompanied Semenza for drinks in San Francisco, leaving the victim at the hotel room they were sharing at the Residence Inn South San Francisco Airport Hotel at 1350 Veterans Blvd., South San Francisco police Sgt. Bruce McPhillips reported after the crime. When Semenza and the victim’s brother returned to the hotel, an argument between the victim and Semenza ensued, resulting in the stabbing of the victim, according to McPhillips.
According to Wagstaffe, the victim’s brother walked away during the argument and moments later Semenza re-joined him, reportedly saying that things “got crazy.” The brother returned to find the victim suffering from seven stab wounds, including two to his chest, Wagstaffe said. Police were called to the incident at 2 a.m. Sept. 23, at which time the victim was taken to a trauma center and Semenza into custody.
The victim underwent surgery and was expected to recover, McPhillips said. Wagstaffe said today that he hadn’t received an update on the victim’s condition, but said the case was not expected to become a murder trial. Both Semenza and his alleged victim were allegedly intoxicated at the time of the incident. Semenza will return to court on Nov. 4, at 1:30 p.m.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.