General Crime

* Michael Woods faces life in prison for being convicted of murdering two peole in Oakland

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

An Oakland man faces life in prison without the possibility of  parole after being convicted of murdering two people in separate shootings five years ago. Michael Woods, 33, was convicted by an Alameda County Superior Court jury on Monday of first-degree murder for killing Bryant Sills on Sept. 14, 2005, and of second-degree murder for killing 18-year-old Reese Allen on Oct. 4, 2005.    Woods was also convicted with a special circumstance clause for committing multiple murders.  Woods is scheduled to be sentenced by Judge Jeffrey Horner on Aug. 27. Prosecutor Venus Johnson said Woods shot and killed Sills at the intersection of 80th Avenue and Alder Street in East Oakland just before 6 a.m. on Sept. 14, 2005. She said Woods, who was driving a white van, followed Sills as he left the parking lot of the Quarter Pound Burger on International Boulevard. When Sills reached the stop sign at 80th Avenue and Alder Street, Woods pulled up next to him and got out of his vehicle with a fully loaded 9 mm gun, according to Johnson. She said Woods walked up to the passenger window of Sills’ vehicle, put his hand inside the passenger window and shot Sills in the face.
Woods fled the scene immediately after the shooting. Johnson said that 20 days later, on Oct. 4, 2005, Woods shot and killed Allen in the 8200 block of International Avenue, which is just a few blocks away from the first shooting. She said Woods was attempting to purchase drugs from Allen but when Allen refused to sell them to him Woods pulled out his fully-loaded 9 mm gun and fired four shots. Allen was hit twice, with one of the bullets piercing his heart, according to Johnson. Woods was arrested on an unrelated parole violation shortly after the second shooting, Johnson said. She said Woods claimed self-defense in both shootings but jurors
rejected his claim by convicting him of the two murder counts. Johnson said Sills wasn’t armed and no weapons were found at the
scene of the first shooting. She said Allen had a revolver in his back pocket in the second incident but never pulled it out. Johnson said that while Woods was in custody in 2007, authorities confiscated a hit list that he created which contained the names and addresses of witnesses for both cases. Woods’ attorney, Thomas Broome, couldn’t be reached for comment.
Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment