BETHEL PARK, Pa. — A Chihuahua was taken to an emergency veterinarian in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area after drinking spilled liquor and showing signs of alcohol poisoning.
Police said it happened inside a car with a suspected drunken driver behind the wheel.
Maxwell, the cute little Chihuahua, has a scary story to share, if he could.
“A gentleman was intoxicated in a car and I guess had vodka in the car that spilled and Maxwell got into it and drank some,” said Dimitri Brown of University Veterinary Specialists.
Thomas Bloedel, 44, of Mount Lebanon, was found Thursday afternoon behind the wheel of his vehicle on Cypress Drive in Bethel Park. So too was Maxwell, who was along for the ride.
“Evidence of poisoning from the alcohol, he was stumbling around like a person who was drunk, his pupils were dilated,” said Brown.
According to Bethel Park police on scene, Bloedel threatened to shoot and kill the arresting officers before being arrested, while Maxwell was taken to the vet in McMurray and treated.
“He is already back to his normal self, not showing any signs of what happened. Looks like a different dog than presented last night,” said Brown.
A bizarre incident indeed, but what happened to Maxwell is not all that uncommon.
“Usually what happens is that people are drinking an alcoholic beverage and leave it someplace and the dog smells it and is intrigued by it,” said Brown.
Bloedel was taken to the Allegheny County Jail. His charges include driving under the influence, terroristic threats, and animal cruelty.