General Crime

Johnathan Harriel, Charged In Connection With 2011 Concord Murder, Ordered Released From Jail

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px



Don’t Wait Until Your Home Has Been Burglarized

Call ADT For Alarms and Camera Systems at 888-327-3622 or Click Here

A 20-year-old Concord man who was initially charged in connection with the murder of a popular young woman in her Concord home in 2011 was ordered released from jail today after reaching a plea deal with the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office.

Johnathan Harriel pleaded not guilty in a Martinez courtroom Monday to residential burglary as part of the plea agreement and was sentenced to six years in jail for his role in the killing of 21-year-old Benicia native Shelby Barnes. However, with conduct credits and time served, Harriel was set to be released today, according to Deputy District Attorney Jason Peck.

The prosecutor said he did not know whether Harriel had been released as of 5 p.m. and jail records were not immediately available.

Peck said in an email that Harriel’s sentence stems from the problems prosecutors had proving his involvement beyond a reasonable doubt in Barnes’ killing.

“The other defendants made admissions including describing the role of Harriel, however those statements are not admissible in trial against Harriel,” the prosecutor said in an email. “Likewise, there is forensic evidence linking the other defendants to the crime while Harriel’s DNA and fingerprints were not found on any duct tape or weapons.”

The other two defendants, 25-year-old Donald Waldecker of Richmond and 23-year-old Randi Dees of El Sobrante, have already been convicted in connection with Barnes’ killing.

Waldecker pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and is serving a 25-year jail sentence while Dees pleaded no contest earlier this year to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Barnes’ murder devastated her friends and family and shocked the small town of Benicia, where she spent most of her life.

In 2011, Barnes moved into a home on Glenside Court in Concord that had been owned by her father but was going into foreclosure.

In October 2011, she allowed Waldecker and Dees, who were a couple at the time, to stay in the house with her.

According to prosecutors, Waldecker came up with a plan to steal the deed to the Concord home and carried out the plan on Oct. 24, 2011, tied her up with the help of Dees and Harriel, bludgeoned her and slit her throat.

The defendants were arrested days after the killing and Harriel, then 17, was tried as an adult.

Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Protect your Website and Computers

Call 855-DSX-DATA (855-379-3282)

DSX web site link 500

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

1 Comment

  • and now he is preparing foods for whole food markets. feel safe folks that he may do something to the food.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons