General Crime

Men Plead Guilty to Assault of Woman Knocked Out Near AT&T Park

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px


Two Sacramento men accused of knocking a woman unconscious in a drunken brawl outside of AT&T Park earlier this month reached a plea deal in San Francisco Superior Court today, according to the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. Anthony Rucker, 42, and Francisco Lopez, 32, pleaded guilty and no contest, respectively, to assault and battery charges today connected with a fight that occurred around 5:50 p.m. on July 10 at Second and King streets. The fight broke out near the stadium where, earlier that day, the San Francisco Giants had played the Oakland Athletics. Both men had attended the game with their families.

Rucker today pleaded guilty to felony assault. He faces three years’ probation and one year in county jail, according to the district attorney’s office. He is scheduled to be sentenced on September 17. Lopez, who was with Rucker at the incident, pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault. He was sentenced today to three years’ probation. The two men were arrested in Sacramento for their alleged involvement in the fight, which left a 27-year-old Oakland woman unconscious and injured a 28-year-old San Jose man.

The pair’s attorneys had argued that the fight started after the woman and man thought Rucker’s 13-year-old daughter was filming the woman vomiting on the sidewalk. The daughter was only playing a video game, but the altercation escalated and Lopez got involved. Rucker allegedly swung and hit the woman, who was knocked unconscious, according to the attorneys.

The woman was taken to the hospital and released the next day. The man also suffered minor injures in the fight. Lopez’ attorney argued that Lopez had been punched by the San Jose man and his nose was broken in the drunken brawl. Prosecutors said both Rucker and Lopez were on probation out of Sacramento County before their arrests. Rucker was convicted of illegal possession of marijuana, while Lopez was convicted of negligent discharge of a firearm. Rucker remains in custody on $200,000 bail.

Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons