A house fire in San Jose this morning appears to have started because the home’s residents were growing marijuana, a fire captain said.
The fire in the 25000 block of Brahms Avenue was reported at 10:14 a.m., San Jose fire Capt. Mike Van Elgort said.
Firefighters arrived to find 10- to 12-foot flames in the front garage extending into the first floor of the two-story home, Van Elgort said.
The fire was controlled at about 11 a.m., but the home was left with damage throughout, including extensive charring on the first floor, Van Elgort said.
Firefighters then found the bedrooms had been used for growing marijuana. Police were called to investigate any potential crimes, Van Elgort said.
One person was home when the fire broke out and managed to escape safely. She and the two other people who live there will be displaced, Van Elgort said.
Firefighters also rescued four small dogs, which were uninjured.
It appears that the fire started with an electrical problem, possibly related to the marijuana grow, Van Elgort said.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.