General Crime

Ryan Goodson In-Custody for Attack on Palo Alto Police Officers and Arraigned in Fatal Stabbing of Jason Rosario in San Jose

Click on Ad Below
1 Me and Mommy ad

A male transient who previously pleaded guilty to assaulting police officers in Palo Alto was arraigned today on murder charges stemming from the Feb. 6 stabbing death of a man at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown San Jose, police said today. The Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office has filed murder charges against Ryan Goodson, 34, in the slaying of 26-year-old Jason Rosario, who was also homeless, Santa Clara County Assistant District Attorney Marc Buller said.

He declined to enter a plea today and is next due in court on April 10. Goodson was formally charged while being held in the county jail after pleading guilty to assaulting several Palo Alto police officers about 15 hours after the stabbing, Buller said. Rosario was found at about 12:20 a.m. suffering from a stab wound and taken to a hospital but succumbed to his injuries shortly thereafter, police said. Police said that after he allegedly stabbed Rosario, Goodson got into a fight with Palo Alto police who responded to reports that he was exhibiting bizarre behavior including jumping through a window at a closed hookah bar in downtown Palo Alto.

A Palo Alto police officer found him outside The Hookah Spot at 235 University Ave. bleeding from his head after apparently jumping through a glass window there. When the officer told him to stop, Goodson allegedly attacked him and grabbed the officer’s gun and pointed it at him while it was still in the holster, according to police. While he was fumbling with the trigger, the officer tackled Goodson to the ground and Goodson allegedly bit him in the shoulder, police said.

Other officers arrived and one used a stun gun to subdue him, but despite that and the officers handcuffing him he continued to struggle and was put in leg restraints as well. He suffered moderate injuries to his head and mouth from jumping through the window, according to police. Goodson’s mugshot from that day shows him with swelling and scabs on his left eye. Buller said today that Goodson pleaded guilty to the attack and is expected to receive a sentence of eight years in prison.

In a statement, Lt. Michael Kihmm of the Police Department’s homicide unit, praised patrol officers who answered the call about the stabbing for preserving evidence at the crime scene that “was crucial in the identification of the suspect and resulted in building a solid case.” “This is especially notable because the homicide occurred in the middle of the night during a heavy rainstorm,” Kihmm stated.

Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

1 YB and waiver

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons