Two suspects have been arrested and a third remains at large in connection with the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man in San Pablo earlier this month, police said today. Franklin Lopez-Guardado was shot dead on Feb. 6 in the 2100 block of Dover Avenue. A week later, on Feb. 13, officers arrested 20-year-old Hector Paul Nava-Martinez on suspicion of murder, according to San Pablo police Cmdr. Jeff Palmieri.
Last Thursday, officers arrested an alleged co-conspirator in the killing, 24-year-old Richmond resident Richard Contreras Barajas. Police are still attempting to locate a third suspect in the homicide, identified as 19-year-old Guillermo “Memo” Alexis Alvarez, of San Pablo, Palmieri said. Contra Costa County prosecutors last week charged all three with murder, according to the district attorney’s office. According to Palmieri, the trio was meeting with the victim around 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 6 to carry out a marijuana sale when an argument broke out over the transaction and Nava-Martinez pulled out a gun and shot Lopez-Guardado. Emergency responders found the victim suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
He was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was pronounced dead. By the time police arrived on the scene, the suspects had fled. Palmieri said witness accounts helped detectives identify and track down the suspects, with the exception of Alvarez. “At this point we believe he’s attempting to evade arrest,” Palmieri said. Police are asking for the public’s help in locating Alvarez, who is believed to be armed and dangerous.
Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.