Police are investigating a hash oil lab explosion that occurred at a house in Fremont on Friday, police said. Fire officials responded to a report of an explosion at a home in the 4200 block of Canfield Drive, near Washington High School, at 5:54 p.m. The one-alarm fire in the home’s laundry room was put out less than 10 minutes later, Fremont fire Capt. Dan Cardenas said.
According to police, the house is known for drug use by its occupants. Police spokeswoman Geneva Bosques said a 20-year-old male resident attempted to extract hash oil from marijuana using butane gas. Police and fire investigators believe the flame from the water heater ignited the gas and caused the explosion. A man suffered serious burns, and a juvenile female sustained more minor burns, police said. Both were taken to hospitals for treatment. The explosion remains under investigation, police said.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.