A man was critically injured in an explosion that occurred while he was making hash oil in the bathroom of his Santa Rosa apartment on Tuesday night, a police sergeant said. Miguel Ceja, 31, was making “honey oil,” which is extracted from marijuana, in the apartment at 934 Clark St. around 8 p.m. when the explosion happened, Santa Rosa police Sgt. David Linscomb said.
Linscomb said the extremely combustible butane Ceja was using in the manufacturing process was ignited by a heat source, possibly a furnace pilot. Ceja suffered severe burns over most of his body and was taken to a hospital by his girlfriend, Linscomb said.
He was later flown to St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco for treatment of life-threatening burns. Two women who were in the second-story apartment near downtown Santa Rosa were not injured, Linscomb said. The Santa Rosa police and fire departments are investigating the incident.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.