Cache of 29 Firearms Confiscated in San Jose From Man Banned From Keeping Guns
Published by Junior Staff Writer on July 5, 2013
A San Jose man prohibited from having firearms surrendered a cache of 29 pistols and rifles Wednesday, including assault weapons, but was not arrested, a San Jose police spokesman said today. The San Jose Police Department’s Armed and Prohibited Person’s Detail went to the man’s home to check for weapons at the request of the California Department of Justice, police spokesman Officer Albert Morales said.
The Department of Justice had added the man’s name to a list of people convicted of a felony or violent misdemeanor, placed under a domestic violence restraining order or determined to be mentally unstable, Morales said. Officers arrived at the man’s residence in the 400 block of Jackie Drive in South San Jose at 6:52 p.m. Wednesday and he cooperated fully, leading them to the guns in his home, Morales said. “We searched the whole address and he was more than happy to show us,” Morales said. All of the 29 guns, including several assault rifles, were legally registered to him and he was not arrested but officers confiscated the cache, Morales said.
The man had been placed on the state’s Armed Prohibited Persons list and the Department of Justice informs the Police Department of those who are added to it, Morales said. The Police Department regularly sends officers to the homes of San Jose residents on the list to check for weapons, Morales said. The man is not being identified because he was not arrested, said Morales, who added that he was not informed about why the man was had been placed on the prohibited persons list.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.