Francisco Hernandez-Murrieta convicted of an attempted rape in Walnut Creek near Iron Horse Trail
Published by Staff Writer on June 4, 2013
A man convicted of an attempted rape in Walnut Creek last year has now been linked to another sexual assault case in the city two years prior, police said. Francisco Hernandez-Murrieta, 32, attacked a female as she was walking in a secluded park near Iron Horse Trail in the early morning hours of June 12, 2012, police said.
The woman was able to fight off Hernandez-Murrieta and contacted authorities who later arrested him near the scene, police said. He was convicted of assault with intent to commit rape, prosecutors said. A swab of DNA taken from Hernandez-Murrieta was submitted to a California Department of Justice database and connected him to an Aug. 14, 2010, sexual assault on Lincoln Drive in Walnut Creek, police said.
During that incident, a woman who was alone in her car was attacked, police said. Both attacks happened in downtown Walnut Creek within half a mile of each other, police said. Hernandez-Murrieta is currently serving a 2-year sentence at San Quentin State Prison for the 2012 incident and now faces additional charges of assault to commit rape, police said.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.