Stuart Forrest Former San Mateo County Chief Probation Officer Pleads Not Guilty to Charges of Possessing Child Pornography
Published by Junior Staff Writer on February 23, 2013
Former San Mateo County Chief Probation Officer Stuart Forrest pleaded not guilty to two charges of possessing child pornography today, according to state prosecutors. Forrest was arraigned today at San Mateo Superior Court in Redwood City. He was expected to be released on $100,000 bail today, according to Lynda Gledhill from the state attorney’s office.
A complaint filed by the state attorney general’s office Thursday in San Mateo County Superior Court alleges Forrest possessed child porn on Dec. 20 and 21, 2012. San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe, who said he has previously worked with Forrest in various professional capacities, turned the case over to Attorney General Kamala Harris.
At today’s arraignment, a judge outside of San Mateo County was brought in to further dismiss any concerns about the county’s previous working relationship with Forrest, Wagstaffe said. “We want the public to feel comfortable,” he said. The complaint stems from a federal investigation by the U.S. Postal Inspector Service last December.
Forrest was placed on administrative leave on Dec. 21, 2012 after county officials announced the probation chief was under investigation. He announced his immediate retirement on Dec. 31. Forrest had worked for the county’s probation department since 1977 and was appointed chief in 2009. His salary in 2012 was $140,004. Calvin “Cal” Remington is now serving as interim probation chief. Wagstaffe said the U.S. Attorney General’s Office turned the case over to the county, who in turn passed it along to the state.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.