General Crime

Laron Logwood Sentenced to 40 Years to Life for Murder of Edwin “Mikey” Grady in Oakland

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments

A man convicted of shooting and killing another man outside of an East Oakland market on a summer afternoon in 2009 was sentenced today to forty years to life in prison, an Alameda County District Attorney’s Office spokesman said. Laron Logwood, 36, was convicted of second-degree murder for the shooting death of Edwin “Mikey” Grady outside the Arrwa One Stop Market at the corner of 86th and Bancroft avenues in East Oakland just before 2 p.m. on July 9, 2009. The shooting was captured by the store’s surveillance camera and the footage was shown to jurors.

The video shows Logwood firing a single shot into Grady’s chest. Grady then ran around the corner, collapsed and died a short time later. Prosecutor Tim Wellman had argued during the trial that Logwood should be convicted of first-degree murder and said that he believed that Logwood shot Grady because he belongs to a gang called the Upper High Street Boys and that Grady had said something disrespectful outside the market. Logwood committed the shooting to save face with his friends, Wellman argued.

But Logwood’s attorney, William DuBois, said that Logwood acted in self-defense because he believed Grady had a gun and would shoot him and his friends. Police who investigated the killing did not find evidence that Grady had a gun, but DuBois said that Grady’s friends had picked up the gun before police arrived. He said Logwood came to the store after a female cousin told him a man — not Grady — had smashed her face and she needed his help. DuBois alleged that Grady had been selling drugs outside the market and was upset because he thought that Logwood and his friends being there was interfered with his ability to sell drugs.

Logwood testified during the trial and admitted that Grady had never pointed a gun at him and that he didn’t think about leaving the scene or calling police after he perceived that Grady might kill him. Logwood said that after shooting Grady he tried to conceal it by getting rid of his gun and changing his clothes at a friend’s home in Richmond.

Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons