Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments
The suspect in the shooting death of an 18-year-old man shortly after the popular First Friday event in downtown Oakland on Friday night is expected to be arraigned this afternoon, according to court records. As of late this morning, 19-year-old Donald Parks Jr. had not yet been formally charged in connection with the slaying of Oakland resident Kiante Campbell in the 2000 block of Telegraph Avenue at 10:49 p.m. Friday.
Parks, who was arrested on a warrant in East Oakland at 7:21 p.m. Saturday, currently is being held without bail at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin on suspicion of murder. If charges are filed against him, he’ll be arraigned at 2 p.m. today at the Wiley Manuel Courthouse in Oakland. Three other people were wounded in the shooting and were treated at local hospitals for injuries not considered life-threatening.
The motive for the shooting is unclear at this time, police said. The First Friday event attracts large crowds to downtown Oakland the first Friday of every month and is an offshoot of Art Murmur, a gallery walk that occurs earlier on the same night. Oakland Mayor Jean Quan said in a statement, “We are deeply saddened about the event that occurred after and near the large and peaceful First Friday event.
We offer our prayers to the families of the victims.” Quan said, “For several years First Friday has been a successful and safe event nationally recognized for its unique blend of our incredibly diverse and rich local art, food, and music scene. It was noted in Oakland’s recent designation as one of the top 12 cities for art in the nation.
” The mayor said, “Recognizing the positive nature of this organic street festival — and the need to ensure that it is safe and sustainable — the city joined local merchants and organizations to coordinate street closures, private security and police oversight.” Quan said, “Unfortunately, no amount of planning and security can provide 100 percent protection against gun crimes and random, senseless acts of violence.
” She said the city “is taking immediate action to assess the security and overall nature of the event and will meet with our community partners to determine the needed measures to make sure First Fridays will continue to be safe and successful moving forward.
Copyright © 2013 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.