General Crime

* Oakland Protest Over Fatal Police Shooting Barred From Entering Council Meetings

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments

Dozens of protesters are trying to force their way into an Oakland City Council meeting this evening after marching there to once again confront the City Council over the May fatal police shooting of 18-year-old Alan Blueford. Blueford was shot and killed in the 9200 block of Birch Street after police said he ran from police in the 1900 block of 90th Avenue just after midnight on May 6. Police initially reported that Blueford had been killed in an exchange of gunfire that injured the officer. However, the following day police said that while a gun believed to be Blueford’s had been recovered, it had not been fired, and the officer’s injury to his foot was self-inflicted.

Police said Blueford was transported to a hospital, where he died. On Sept. 18, members of Blueford’s family confronted the Oakland City Council demanding a police report from the night of the shooting. Protesters angrily disrupted the meeting, leading City Council President Larry Reid to abruptly adjourn the meeting with little of the agenda completed. Today, about 50 people gathered outside of the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse at 12th and Oak streets before marching to City Hall for tonight’s meeting. Blueford’s father, Adam Blueford, 49, spoke to the group outside of the courthouse. “The incident hasn’t gotten any better for us as a family. It’s a tough thing as a family to bury your kid. We want a full investigation of the murder of our son and people held accountable for the murder of our son,” he said. Blueford said that his family is still seeking the release of a full police report, after receiving a redacted report following the Sept. 18 meeting.

Assistant District Attorney Michael O’Connor at one point came outside and answered questions from the protesters, telling them, “I’m willing to bring anything you have for me to the district attorney’s attention.” However, he said that the investigation was ongoing and any decisions about releasing information related to the investigation would be made by Oakland police. Protesters then marched to City Hall, carrying signs like “Oakland police kill,” and “OPD Killed, OPD lied.” However, once protesters arrived, only a handful were allowed to enter, with the rest left outside the Council Chambers. They remain gathered outside the doors tonight, yelling and chanting and demanding to be let in. Protesters at one point opened the doors and attempted to enter, but were forced out by Oakland police officers.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons