General Crime

* Unknown Suspect Vandalizes Mission Police Station During Spontaneous Riot

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments

Shortly after an officer involved shooting in which a plainclothes officer shot a suspect who pulled a gun on the officer Thursday night, dozens of rioters surrounded San Francisco’s Mission District Police Station while one person vandalized the police station, according to San Francisco police. Police said that a spontaneous demonstration erupted around 10:30 p.m. outside the police station located at 630 Valencia St. Vandals spray-painted graffiti onto the front doors of the police station. The graffiti read, “KILLERS”, according to police and local merchants. An employee at Pizzeria, located just across the street from the police station said at least 15 riot police could be seen outside the police station shortly before 12 a.m. and that rioters were yelling obscenities as they walked laps down 17th, Mission, 18th and Valencia streets. According to police, the demonstrators marched to the intersection of 14 and Mission streets and then to the BART plaza at 16 and Mission streets, stopping several times along the route.

Protesters were heard making anti-police comments during the march, police said. Police continued to monitor the protest and said that no other acts of vandalism were noted. There were neither injuries nor arrests. Police said the demonstration had largely dispersed by 11:45 p.m. The officer involved shooting that enraged rioters was reported at 8:06 p.m. in the 200 block of 14th Street, police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said. Two plainclothes officers from the department’s Gang Task Force were working along with two probation officers in separate vehicles in the area when they saw two people they thought they recognized as gang members. One of the officers attempted to talk to one of the two people who ran from police with the officer in pursuit. While running, the suspect pulled a gun, later determined to be a TEC-9 pistol, and the officer ordered him to drop the weapon, Andraychak said.

Instead, the suspect turned toward the officer and began to raise the pistol. The officer feared for his life and shot at the suspect, Andraychak said. Police said the suspect was hit twice and was then taken to San Francisco General Hospital where he was treated for non life-threatening injuries. The suspect’s gun was recovered at the scene, loaded with 25 rounds of 9mm ammunition, police said.

Please call the Fugitive Watch hot line at 1-800-9-CAUGHT (1-800-922-8448) or text us at 408-355-0999 or CLICK HERE to send a confidential email tip, if you have any information that can help solve this crime.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons