Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments
Marin County sheriff’s officials said this morning that at least two people tried to break into the juvenile hall room occupied by a San Rafael teen accused of attempted murder in Mill Valley and the theft of a $200,000 Lamborghini from a San Francisco dealership. Max Wade, who turned 18 years old today, was the apparent target of the break-in attempt that occurred around 4:30 a.m. at the juvenile hall facility on Jeannette Prandi Way, sheriff’s Lt. Barry Heying said. Heying said there is no evidence Wade took an active role in the unsuccessful break-in.
“The link is simply the proximity,” Heying said, regarding the location of Wade’s room and the area where the suspects struck the concrete wall and window with a long-handled sledgehammer. Wade was scheduled to be transferred to the adult jail today, Heying said. He is being charged as an adult in connection with the theft of celebrity chef Guy Fieri’s yellow Lamborghini from a San Francisco car dealership last year, as well as for shooting into an occupied vehicle in Mill Valley this April. Three group counselors were on duty at the time of the attempted break-in this morning.
One of them “heard a couple thumps” and checked the rooms housing the 13 juveniles in the facility, Chief Probation Officer Mike Daly said. The counselor grabbed Wade and the youths were relocated even as the pounding on the outside wall continued, Daly said. The counselors estimated they heard at least 20 blows to the exterior concrete wall. A window 8 feet off the ground was also damaged but neither it nor the wall was breached. Investigators will try to lift fingerprints from a pair of bolt cutters and the sledgehammers that were left at the scene, Heying said.
Wade was considered a high-security inmate at juvenile hall. His room was 6 feet wide, 9 feet long and 8 feet high, authorities said. There is no description of the suspects. Investigators are reviewing surveillance video from security cameras and conducting interviews, Heying said. The juveniles were sleeping at the time of the attempted break-in. Wade was willing to be moved and did not resist, Daly said. There was no alarm connected to the outside fence at juvenile hall. Both the outside fence and an interior fence were cut with bolt cutters by the suspects, Daly said. Daly said the attempted break-in suspects were “bold but pretty dumb” to think they could break the concrete wall and window with several strikes of a sledgehammer. Wade is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 17.
Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.