General Crime

* San Francisco Muni Disrupted Due to Protest Over Police Shooting of Kenneth Harding After He Shot at Officers

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments

Several dozen protesters have gathered in San Francisco’s  Financial and Mission districts this morning with plans to shut down Muni  lines on the one-year anniversary of a police shooting, according to  organizers. Organizer Marco Scott said he and other protesters hope to shut  down Muni service throughout the day to commemorate the death of 19-year-old  Kenneth Harding, Jr., who died July 16, 2011 after an encounter with police  conducting Muni fare inspections.

As of 7 a.m., protesters were still arriving at 14th and Market  Street, with a noticeable police presence to monitor the protest, said Scott,  who is Harding’s uncle.  Meanwhile, several dozen more protesters marched in the area of  Duboce Avenue and Church Street to disrupt Muni service there, according to  police. Scott said today’s attempt to shut down Muni is meant to be a  peaceful protest against police brutality. “We want to honor (Harding) and our other fallen children that  have been killed by police brutality – we’re here to make a statement,” Scott  said.

Police said they would be on hand today to facilitate protesters’  first amendment rights, provide traffic control and monitor the scene. Muni officials did not immediately return calls for comment this  morning, but a Muni spokeswoman Friday said they were aware of the event and  planned to take it into consideration as they managed service today.  Scott said he and other protesters today want to alert Muni riders  to what he calls “the profiling of inner-city kids.” He said protesters plan to hold a memorial for Harding at Third  and Palou streets around noon. Police initially said Harding was shot after an exchange of  gunfire with officers after he tried to avoid paying Muni fare.

However,  investigators later said that the gun that fired the fatal shot did not  belong to police and that Harding appeared to have shot himself.  When no gun was found on Harding’s body and videos began to  circulate showing the 19-year-old slowly bleeding to death on the ground,  many community members were outraged.  Police contended that amateur video shows someone removing  Harding’s gun from him, and that that weapon was eventually recovered.

“We want free transit for all youth,” organizers said in a written  statement. “No youth should have to worry about losing his or her life for  not having a $2 transit fare.” Protesters say they are also seeking federal charges against the  officers involved in Harding’s shooting.  Flyers calling for the Muni shutdown also cited the June 5  shooting of 15-year-old Derrick Gaines by South San Francisco police.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons