General Crime

* Vincent Saguid Identified as Mystery Man in Pizza Theft in Daly City

Scroll to the bottom to view and make comments

Daly City police have identified a mystery man who was arrested a month ago for stealing frozen pizzas from a Lucky’s supermarket. The man, who had been in custody since his May 30 arrest, hadn’t said a word to investigators, and police had asked for the public’s help earlier this week in figuring out his identity.

On Friday, police announced that an investigator with the San Mateo County Private Defender Program had been able to identify the man as Vincent Saguid, of San Francisco. The day of the pizza theft, officers responded to a Lucky’s store at 6843 Mission St. in Daly City after employees called to report that someone was stealing from the supermarket, Daly City police Sgt. Mike Barton said.

They found Saguid with two frozen pizzas and a couple of candy bars, Barton said. He was not carrying any identification and did not respond to verbal commands or questions. Saguid was briefly observed in a mental health unit then transferred to jail, where he stayed for weeks, unidentified. The private defender’s investigator, Rich Fischer, said the man’s fingerprints were run through DMV and criminal databases but no results came back. Saguid had physically responded to some verbal commands in English, but had not spoken or written any words.

At one point, he was given a pencil and paper and a nurse asked him if he was happy or sad, to which he responded by drawing a happy face, Fischer said. Fischer said this morning that Saguid was identified after his former therapist saw a report about the unidentified man in the news and contacted his sister. Saguid’s family confirmed it was him. Fischer said Saguid has been charged with petty theft, but that he anticipates the charges could be dropped based on the circumstances of the crime and Saguid’s mental state. “When he took the items, it was the third time he’d come back to this store and taken the same items,” Fischer said.

All three times he made no effort to conceal the goods as he walked out of the store, Fischer said. The first two times, store management confronted Saguid and he gave the items back, and the third time they decided to call the police, he said. Fischer said he and Saguid had their first conversation today. “He finally spoke to me this morning,” Fischer said. Fischer thinks Saguid began to open up because we addressed him by his name. “He clearly made eye contact with me when I called him Vincent,” Fischer said. He said Saguid’s family plans to visit him today at the San Mateo Medical Center, where he is being held.

Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons