Authorities today identified both the victim and suspect in an apparent homicide behind a shopping center in Concord on Sunday morning. The victim was identified by the Contra Costa County coroner’s office as 49-year-old John Newman, who was found by police and firefighters who responded to a shopping center in the 1700 block of Monument Boulevard regarding an unconscious homeless man.
Newman, a transient, was found behind the vacant Hollywood Video store in a makeshift homeless encampment and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. Police determined Newman had been assaulted, and detectives developed information about a suspect who had allegedly attacked him. At about 8:30 p.m., officers spotted the suspect, Jason Charles Cahall, walking on Monument Boulevard near Virginia Lane, police said.
Cahall was taken into custody and interviewed by the detectives, and was subsequently booked into county jail on suspicion of murder and robbery, according to police. No other suspects are being sought in connection with the homicide, Concord’s first of 2012, but the investigation into the case is ongoing, police said.
Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Please call the Fugitive Watch hot line at 1-800-9-CAUGHT (1-800-922-8448) or text us at 408-355-0999 or CLICK HERE to send a confidential email tip, if you have any information that can help solve this crime.
Por favor llame la línea de Los Fugitivos en 1-800-9-CAUGHT (1-800-922-8448) o texto en 408-355-0999 o haga clic aquí para enviar un email a [email protected], si usted tiene alguna información que pueda ayudar a resolver este crimen.