Update-Watch Video Below
BART officials are holding a news conference this afternoon to release video of the fatal officer-involved shooting at the Civic Center station in San Francisco on July 3. The shooting, which occurred at about 9:45 p.m. on the station platform, killed 45-year-old Charles Hill, who police said was armed with knives and a broken bottle he was wielding as a weapon. The shooting sparked protests on July 11 that shut down several BART stations in San Francisco during the evening commute.
BART had been criticized for not releasing the video earlier, but police said it would have compromised the investigation. It is being released now because San Francisco police have finished interviewing witnesses, BART officials said today. The news conference is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. at BART headquarters in Oakland. BART Interim General Manager Sherwood Wakeman, Police Chief Kenton Rainey, and independent police auditor Mark P. Smith are scheduled to attend.
Copyright © 2011 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.