General Crime

* Protest Over San Francisco Police Shooting of Parolee Kenneth Harding-Watch Video Here

UPDATE Click Here Kenneth Harding’s Gun Recovered

UPDATE Click Here July 27, 2011 Ondrell Harding arrested in Seattle for alleged beating death of a 50-year-old man

At least one person was taken into custody tonight during a roving demonstration through San Francisco that left a group of protesters surrounded by police on Powell Street. A group of about 150 protesters gathered at San Francisco’s Dolores Park and at about 6 p.m. began marching through the city’s Castro and Mission districts before arrive on Powell Street almost 90 minutes later.


The demonstration is in response to the fatal police shooting of 19-year-old Kenneth Harding Jr., who allegedly ran from police and fired shots after officers attempted to detain him while conducting a fare enforcement at a San Francisco Municipal Railway light-rail stop. Some of the protesters carried a banner reading “They can’t shoot us all,” and others chanted, “How do you spell murder? S-F-P-D.” About two dozen police officers on foot and motorcycles, as well as in SUVs, were corralling the crowd as they marched through the Castro and blocked the group’s path down Church Street.

The group changed course and arrived at the Muni station at Market and Castro streets, where they attempted to break Muni ticket machines and overturned garbage cans. When the group left the station, they marched past Dolores Park to the Police Department’s Mission Station at 17th and Valencia streets. One person threw a hammer at the station’s window but failed to cause any damage. Another attempted to splash the station in paint, and a third dropped a smoke bomb. The protesters headed toward downtown and marched east down Market Street toward the Civic Center station at about 7:15 p.m. Market Street was
mostly blocked in the area by a combination of the protesters and police.

When the group arrived at Powell Street, police in riot gear rounded up about 20 people, including members of the media, and a police line surrounded a second, larger portion of the protesters. After a small scuffle, at least one person was taken into custody by police. Some people were trapped inside the Blondie’s Pizza at 63 Powell St. as police tried to slow the group’s movements. Harding was shot at about 4:45 p.m. after running from officers who had taken him off a Muni light-rail vehicle at Third Street and Palou Avenue for suspected fare evasion, police said.

During the chase, Harding allegedly pulled out a handgun and shot at pursuing officers, according to police. Two officers returned fire, striking Harding, who later died at a hospital. Harding, a Seattle resident, was also a parolee who was being sought as a person of interest in a homicide that occurred in that city last week.

Copyright © 2011 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.


Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons