A 26-year-old man was fatally shot while walking in San Francisco’s Portola neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, a police spokesman said today. The victim, identified by the medical examiner’s office as Neilson Bates, was shot on San Bruno Avenue near Paul Avenue at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Albie Esparza said.
The suspect, described only as a black man in his 20s, came from behind Bates and opened fire, striking him multiple times, Esparza said. The shooter then ran away, possibly getting into a white Toyota that was seen leaving the scene, he said. Bates, a San Francisco resident, was taken to San Francisco General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:50 p.m., Esparza said.
No motive for the shooting had been established as of this morning, he said. The homicide is San Francisco’s 28th so far this year. At the same point in 2010, there had been 24 homicides in the city, Esparza said.
Copyright © 2011 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.