A 19-year-old Oakley man was charged with murder and street terrorism Tuesday in connection with the shooting death of another Oakley man in a city park last weekend, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office. The shooting happened at about 4 a.m. Saturday at O’Hara Park at 1100 O’Hara Ave.
The victim, 21-year-old James Didio, was leaving the park with friends when he was shot, Oakley police Chief Bani Kollo said.He died at the scene, police said. The park is adjacent to O’Hara Middle School, but Kollo said the shooting had nothing to do with the school and happened at the opposite end of the park.
On Sunday night, police received a tip that led them to a home on Douglas Road, where they contacted Dameon Zesati. Officers took Zesati to the police station, interviewed him and then arrested him. He is being held in county jail in lieu of more than $2 million bail, sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Kollo said detectives were still investigating the relationship between the two men, but so far there is no indication that the victim was involved in a gang. He referred to the shooting as “a horrific crime” and a “senseless tragedy” for the families of both the victim and the suspect.
“This has certainly rocked the community,” Kollo said. Didio was the city’s second homicide victim this year. Zesati was arraigned on the charges, but did not enter a plea, according to the district attorney’s office. He is scheduled to return to court June 16 to be assigned an attorney and enter a plea.
Copyright © 2011 by Bay City News, Inc.Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.