General Crime

* Butcher Dog Park in San Jose re-opened after a dog was allegedly poisoned

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

A popular dog park in San Jose, one that was closed after a small dog that visited the park Saturday had seizures and died, is set to reopen Thursday, city officials said today.Preliminary results of a necropsy determined that it was unlikely the dog was poisoned at the park, and city officials said that, as a precaution, the park would be pressure washed prior to reopening.

San Jose resident Jennifer Tian took her dog, Colin, a Shiba Inu, to play at Butcher Dog Park on Saturday afternoon. The dog was playing normally but then suddenly began vomiting and suffering seizures, Animal Care and Services deputy director Jon Cicirelli said. Tian took the dog to a veterinarian, who suspected the dog might have been poisoned, Cicirelli said.Animal Care and Services was investigating the dog’s death to determine whether it was indeed a poisoning, and a necropsy was performed Tuesday.

Preliminary necropsy results indicated that Colin’s body showed no signs of poisonous toxins.The necropsy’s official results could take anywhere from one to three weeks, Cicirelli said.”Because the dog’s symptoms mimicked those of an animal that had ingested a poisonous substance, we opted to close the park immediately for the safety of our residents and their pets,” Cicirelli said today in a statement.”We feel comfortable, given the findings and the ability to clean the park, that it can safely be opened,” he said.

Copyright © 2011 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.


Comment Advisement We welcome your thoughts, but for the sake of all readers, please refrain from the use of obscenities, personal attacks or racial slurs. All comments are subject to our terms of service and may be removed. Repeat offenders may lose commenting privileges.

Leave a Comment


  • Huh?,
    I added the word allegedly for you and yes we try and read the 1000’s of articles and catch all the little things as well as big ones. It’s from the nice people out there like you that keep us straight. Thank You

  • Do you guys read your own articles? The headline say’s the dog was poisoned. The article IN YOUR OWN WORDS say’s: Preliminary necropsy results indicated that Colin’s body showed no signs of poisonous toxins.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons