A man accused of receiving thousands of dollars in disaster assistance by posing as a resident of the San Bruno neighborhood destroyed by an explosion and fire earlier this month appeared in San Mateo County Superior Court on Tuesday to face multiple felony charges.Prosecutors allege that Daniel Stansbury, 41 of Los Altos, twice went to a victim aid resource center and used false information to apply for assistance meant for those who lived near the PG&E gas transmission line that ruptured on Sept. 9, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. The resulting explosion and fire killed eight people, injured more than 50 and destroyed 37 homes. Stansbury allegedly applied for disaster aid from PG&E under a false name as well as his own name, using addresses within the disaster zone, according to Wagstaffe.The suspect allegedly managed to procure several benefits intended for disaster victims,including two gift cards from PG&E worth $1,000 each, a nine-day stay at the Hilton San Francisco Airport, a four-day stay at the Hilton San Jose and a free car rental, Wagstaffe said.Stansbury appeared in court Tuesday to be arraigned on two counts of burglary, two counts of using false personal information to obtain goods and services in another’s name, two counts of grand theft and two counts of fraudulently claiming aid.He pleaded not guilty, and a preliminary hearing was set for Oct. 12. He is the fifth scamming suspect to face fraudulent claim charges in the wake of the San Bruno disaster. Stansbury’s bail was set at $100,000.
Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
CLICK HERE To Watch More Breaking News and Exciting Crimes Caught on Tape