A man who was killed Wednesday during a shootout with Concord police has been identified as 31-year-old Richard Renfandt II, according to the Contra Costa County coroner’s office.The incident began at about 6 p.m. when police received a call reporting a disturbance at a residence. As officers were responding, they recognized Renfandt, a Concord resident, and stopped him in the area of Hillsborough Drive and Labrador Street. Renfandt had two warrants for his arrest — a felony warrant for allegedly receiving stolen property and a warrant for three misdemeanor charges of petty theft, possession of dangerous drugs and being under the influence of a controlled substance, Concord police Lt. Jim Lardieri said.According to court records, Renfandt had been convicted in 2002 of a misdemeanor weapons charge and was sentenced to three years’ probation.
When the officers ordered Renfandt to stop on Wednesday, he initially complied with their orders, but then fled on foot.The officers chased him to a carport in the 3400 block of Hillsborough Drive.When the officers confronted him, he allegedly brandished a handgun and refused to drop it, according to police. Police said Renfandt then exchanged gunfire with one of the officers and was hit, police said. He died at the scene. The officer was not injured. The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave as is protocol, according to the department. Police later determined that the car Renfandt was driving had been reported stolen on Friday, police said.
Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.