General Crime

* Anthony Alvarez wanted for bank robbery and shooting at Concord police still in standoff with 1-year-old hostage


A standoff is continuing this morning between Sacramento SWAT teams and a robbery suspect wanted on suspicion of shooting at Concord police last Friday, a Sacramento County sheriff’s spokesman said.The suspect, Anthony Alvarez, has been holding a 1-year-old boy hostage since the standoff began late Wednesday morning, authorities said. Several exchanges of gunfire occurred overnight between Alvarez and sheriff’s SWAT officers, Sacramento County sheriff’s Sgt. Tim Curran said. It is not known if any bullets hit Alvarez, Curran said. There was no sign at all of the 1-year-old this morning.”Obviously we are extremely concerned about the safety of the child,” Curran said.Concord police had been investigating the whereabouts of Alvarez, a 25-year-old San Francisco man, in connection with a May 26 bank robbery at the U.S. Bank at 4663 Clayton Road in Concord.Police traced Alvarez to an apartment complex in the 2400 block of Arden Way in Sacramento. On Wednesday morning, Concord police arrived in the city and, along with an FBI representative, requested assistance from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.The standoff began at about 11:30 a.m. when Alvarez saw an officer and grabbed his cousin’s 1-year-old son and brought him into an apartment. Several adults fled from the apartment.It was later determined that there was also a 4-year-old child in the unit who was evacuated through a rear window without Alvarez’s knowledge, Curran said.Suffering from fatigue, the sheriff’s SWAT officers were relieved overnight by SWAT officers from the Sacramento Police Department.

Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons