General Crime

* Anthony Alvarez a wanted shooting suspect now in police standoff with 1-year-old hostage in the 2400 block of Arden Way in Sacramento

UPDATE Click Here Anthony Alvarez wanted for bank robbery and shooting at Concord police still in standoff with 1-year-old hostage

A robbery suspect wanted on suspicion of shooting at Concord police last Friday took a 1-year-old boy hostage late this morning and remained involved in a standoff with authorities at a Sacramento apartment complex this evening, a Sacramento County sheriff’s spokesman said.Concord police had been investigating the whereabouts of Anthony Alvarez, a 25-year-old San Francisco man, in connection with a May 26 bank robbery at the U.S. Bank at 4663 Clayton Road. At about 7:30 p.m. Friday, Concord officers pulled Alvarez over, but he allegedly ran from the car at Willow Pass Road and Waterworld Parkway.At one point during the chase, Alvarez allegedly fired shots at a pursuing officer, and the officer returned fire, Concord police said.No one was injured, and Alvarez managed to evade police.Sacramento County sheriff’s Sgt. Tim Curran said Concord police traced Alvarez to an apartment complex in the 2400 block of Arden Way in Sacramento. This morning, Concord police arrived in the city and, along with an FBI representative, requested assistance from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.Curran, who did not identify the suspect but confirmed he was wanted in connection with three armed robberies in the Bay Area and for shooting at Concord police last Friday,said the standoff began at about 11:30 a.m. today when Alvarez saw a responding officer.He allegedly grabbed his cousin’s 1-year-old son and brought him into an apartment unit. Several adults fled from the apartment.Investigators later determined there was also a 4-year-old child in the unit and managed to evacuate the child through a rear window without Alvarez’s knowledge, Curran said.As of 5:15 p.m., Alvarez remained in the apartment with the 1-year-old boy and was believed to have a firearm.Curran said the sheriff’s department’s SWAT and hostage negotiation teams were at the apartment, and Concord police and the FBI remained there as well.Investigators had intermittent contact with Alvarez over a cell phone, but his phone was no longer working by this evening, Curran said. He added that negotiators were trying to get another phone into the apartment.

Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons