The City of Berkeley is offering a $15,000 reward and Bay Area Crime Stoppers is offering an additional $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the Thursday shooting death of a Berkeley man. At about 6:30 p.m., officers responded to King Street, just south of 62nd Street, on reports of multiple shots fired. They arrived to find a man suffering from at least one gunshot. Kenneth Tims Jr., 30, was pronounced dead at the scene. No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting, and police Sgt. Mary Kusmiss said investigators are asking for the public’s help in solving the case. “It was during what’s essentially rush hour, so it’s possible someone saw something,” she said. “Even the smallest thing can make a big difference.” Investigators are also looking into the possibility of a connection between Thursday’s shooting and another one that occurred a block away just two weeks earlier. At about 11 a.m. on May 20, a 39-year-old man and a 57-year-old woman were critically injured after being shot while sitting in a car parked near the intersection of King and 63rd streets. Police announced last week that Doran Williams, Jr., a 27-year-old Oakland man, was wanted on a no-bail arrest warrant for one count of attempted murder and one count of assault with a deadly weapon. He hasn’t been arrested, and should be considered armed and dangerous. Kusmiss said investigators “are certainly looking into the possibility of a connection (between the two shootings), but there’s no confirmation that they’re related.” Thursday’s shooting marks the second homicide in the city this year. There were nine homicides in Berkeley in 2009.
Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.