A 23-year-old man accused of shooting two other men at a party in East Palo Alto over the weekend has been arraigned on felony charges in San Mateo County Superior Court, a deputy district attorney said today. Arnulfo Guerrero-Solorio has been in custody since he was arrested shortly after the 9:30 p.m. shooting on Saturday, according to Chief Deputy
District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. He has been charged with three counts of firing a gun from a vehicle at another person and two counts of felony assault with a semi-automatic handgun in connection with the shooting that injured two men, one in the leg and the other in the groin, Wagstaffe said. He pleaded not guilty at his initial arraignment Monday and faces 30 years to life in prison if convicted. Guerrero-Solorio, who was at a party in the 100 block of Lotus Way, left that gathering and got into a fight with several men at another party nearby, according to prosecutors. Guerrero-Solorio, who had been drinking heavily, called a friend later in the evening to come drive him home, prosecutors said. When the friend arrived and picked up Guerrero-Solorio, several men from the other party started walking toward them, according to prosecutors. The men didn’t have any weapons but Guerrero-Solorio allegedly took out a semi-automatic pistol and started firing at them, striking two of them, prosecutors said. Guerrero-Solorio and his friend drove away but police quickly stopped and detained them. The San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office opted not to file charges against the driver, because there was no evidence he was aware a shooting was going to happen, Wagstaffe said. “He’s a witness rather than a defendant,” Wagstaffe said of the driver. Guerrero-Solorio is scheduled to return to court Jan. 15 for a preliminary hearing. He remains in custody in lieu of $100,000 bail.
Copyright © 2010 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.