A 27-year-old man who was acquitted of attempted murder for firing a gun in the direction of a group of people but found guilty of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle has been sentenced in San Mateo County Superior Court to two years in state prison. Ricardo Lucatero, who had been charged with four counts of attempted murder and four felony assault charges, faced up to five years in prison until his Aug. 5 acquittal, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.A jury, however, found him guilty of four counts of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle for the July 7, 2008, incident in which he fired a handgun at four people. No one was struck, Wagstaffe said.He was sentenced Friday to two years in prison and had been in custody without bail prior to his sentencing.Lucatero pulled up to a house that afternoon where four people were sitting outside drinking beer. He got out of his truck and started to walk toward the house, but the home’s occupant stopped him and told Lucatero to go away, Wagstaffe said.Lucatero went back to his truck and drove away, but returned 15 minutes later and started shooting at the people outside from his truck, according to Wagstaffe.The four people ran for cover and Lucatero drove away, Wagstaffe said.He was arrested about two months later and reportedly claimed he had not been aiming at the people on the lawn, just firing his gun in anger.Wagstaffe said Lucatero’s conviction meant that the jury believed Lucatero fired the gun from his truck, but not that he intended to shoot at the four people on the lawn.
Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.