Sep 2, 2009SAN BRUNO: UPDATE: SKYLINE COLLEGE CLOSED THURSDAY AS POLICE INVESTIGATE SHOOTING
Skyline College in San Bruno is on lockdown this afternoon following a shooting on campus, students and school officials said.
A woman answering the phone at the school said there had been a shooting and that one person had been shot. The woman said shortly after 2 p.m. that classes had been canceled and the school was on lockdown. She said students have been sent text
messages to alert them of the situation. Student Edward Reyes, 21, said he was inside the school’s Learning Center shortly before 2 p.m. when the shooting victim, a male, appeared. “He barged right in screaming, ‘I got shot,'” Reyes said. Reyes called 911. He said it appeared the victim had been shot in the behind. Jennifer, a 19-year-old student who refused to give her last name, said she was coming out of class when the shooting occurred. “I heard a lot of popping noises,” she said. She said she saw three males running out of the Pacific Heights parking lot near Building 5. One had a gun and wore a black hooded sweatshirt, she said. The three ran toward the main campus from the parking lot, she said. A male student, who declined to give his name, said he saw a male victim on a stretcher. He did not know the victim’s condition but said he was blinking. Fall semester classes started at the school on Aug. 19, said Barbara Christensen, spokeswoman for the San Mateo County Community College District. About 10,000 students are enrolled this semester, she said. Christensen said a text message had been sent to students who signed up for emergency text message alerts. She did not know how many had signed up but said the number is “substantial.” San Bruno police were not available to provide details on the shooting.
Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.