General Crime

* Redwood City Man Jose Perez-Gonzalez Pleads Not Guilty To Beating Elderly Women

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

www.buffybail.com

A 30-year-old man pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder in San Mateo County Superior Court this morning and will go to trial in January, two years after he allegedly beat an elderly woman in her Daly City home.Jose Perez-Gonzalez, who is in San Mateo County jail without bail, was arrested by Mexican authorities in November 2008 in connection with the attack of a 78-year-old woman during a botched burglary Jan. 12, 2008, Daly City police Lt. Jay Morena said. The assault left the victim blind and confined to a rest home, according to Morena.Perez-Gonzalez was ordered to stand trial on eight felony counts at his preliminary hearing Aug. 5, including charges of attempted murder, residential burglary and assault with a deadly weapon, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.He pleaded not guilty to all counts at his superior court arraignment this morning and Judge Susan Etezadi set a trial date of Jan. 19, 2010, according to Wagstaffe.Perez-Gonzalez was extradited back to the U.S. on April 14 and Daly City investigators assumed custody of Perez-Gonzalez in Los Angeles later that night, Morena said.Perez-Gonzalez was then brought to San Mateo County jail where he remains without bail.He is suspected of attacking the woman when she surprised him after he pried open a rear sliding glass door to her home in the Serramonte area of Daly City, police said.The intruder repeatedly beat the woman with a metal pry bar on the face and head and left her for dead before fleeing through the home’s front door and activating the silent alarm, Morena said.Officers responded to the alarm and found the woman semi-conscious and bleeding profusely, Morena said.She was rushed to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. Daly City police detectives identified Perez-Gonzalez as the suspect one week later and obtained a warrant for his arrest.However, an investigation revealed that Perez-Gonzalez, an undocumented immigrant, had fled to his native Mexico, Morena said.Detectives continued to track Perez-Gonzalez’s movements throughout Mexico while navigating the legal process for obtaining an international provisional warrant for his arrest.On Nov. 25, 2008, detectives were told officials with the Mexican government had granted the warrant request and were dispatching a Federal Fugitive Task Force Squad from Mexico City to Guadalajara, Morena said.The following morning, the FBI advised Daly City detectives that Perez-Gonzalez had been apprehended, Morena said.Perez-Gonzalez’s extradition had been expected to take from two months to a year, according to Morena.He faces at least 20 years in prison if convicted of all charges.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons