General Crime

*Feb 3, SAN JOSE SUSPECT IN HIT-AND-RUN THAT INJURED FATHER AND SON TO APPEAR IN COURT

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

*Feb 3, 2009 SALINAS: POLICE PARTNER WITH ATF AS PART OF GANG ENFORCEMENT
*Feb 3, 2009 CONCORD: CAR STOLEN IN EARLY MORNING BURGLARY RECOVERED
*Feb 3, 2009 RICHMOND: FOUR MEN CHARGED IN ALLEGED HATE CRIME BEATING
*Feb 3, 2009 ANTIOCH: SUSPECT IN BOWLING ALLEY SHOOTING CHARGED AS AN ADULT
*Feb 3, 2009 RICHMOND: POLICE SEEK WITNESSES TO MURDER OF TWO BROTHERS

Feb 3, 2009 SAN JOSE SUSPECT IN HIT-AND-RUN THAT INJURED FATHER AND SON TO APPEAR IN COURT

A 19-year-old San Jose man charged with felony hit-and-run for a collision that injured a man and critically wounded his 8-year-old son is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Santa Clara County Superior Court. Marvin Martinez allegedly struck the boy and his father, who were walking in a crosswalk at Story Road and Adrian Way on their way to Mildred K. Goss Elementary School the morning of Jan. 26, according to police.The father, Alexandro Casillas, and his son were crossing on a green light, police said.The boy suffered a head injury and was knocked unconscious, and Casillas sustained an injury to his leg. District attorney’s spokesman Nick Muyo said today the boy remains in a coma.Investigators identified Martinez as the suspect after receiving multiple anonymous tips, and he was arrested Friday afternoon at Suvianda, a market on South White Road near Story Road, where he works, Sgt. Mike Sullivan said.Martinez faces charges including two counts of felony hit-and-run causing injury or death, two counts of reckless driving causing great bodily injury and one count of driving while unlicensed.Martinez is scheduled for arraignment at 1:30 p.m. in Dept. 23 of Santa Clara County Superior Court, 190 W.Hedding St. in San Jose.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Feb 3  2009 SALINAS: POLICE PARTNER WITH ATF AS PART OF GANG ENFORCEMENT

Salinas police announced a partnership with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on Monday as part of an ongoing effort to curb gang violence in the city.The partnership, in the works since last year, will place two ATF agents with the Police Department to review cases and act in uniform as part of the Violence Suppression Unit, police Investigations Cmdr. Dino Bardoni said.Announced Monday morning at City Hall by city and police officials, the program will allow ATF agents to determine if suspects arrested for gun-related crimes can be charged in federal court, Bardoni said.With the city’s major crime problems related to gangs, charging suspects with federal court will be one way the city can address its gang problem, Bardoni said.Federal convictions carry federal prison time without time off for good behavior, Bardoni said. Breaking up the work gang members do in prison is also a perk to seeking federal charges, he said.”Gang members, when they go to county jail or state prison, they’re still networking,” Bardoni explained. “When you put them in federal prisons, they’re not networking like they have been.”The ATF’s partnership with the city is not a new venture for the federal agency, but the Salinas partnership is timely, Bardoni said.”The timing is perfect, unfortunately,” he said, referring to the rash of gang violence that erupted with the New Year and caused a handful of deaths and injuries. “This is just one more thing that we’re trying to accomplish safe streets,” Bardoni said. “Our ultimate goal is to reduce the gang violence in the city of Salinas. This in itself is not going to do it.”

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited

Feb 3, 2009 CONCORD: CAR STOLEN IN EARLY MORNING BURGLARY RECOVERED

Police found a car Monday that was stolen during an early morning residential burglary, but the suspects managed to escape, Concord police Cpl. Kerry Cerletti said.Police received a call from the victim’s neighbor shortly after 1:30 a.m. The neighbor reported seeing people coming in and out of a garage in a house in the 3100 block of The Alameda. The neighbor also said he believed the residents were inside the house, Cerletti said. The neighbor then saw what appeared to be a dark-colored Volkswagen Jetta leave the house. A short time later, police saw several people running from an abandoned car in the area of San Miguel Road and Marilyn Way.The officers determined that the car had been stolen from the house on The Alameda. Police used a police dog to track the alleged suspects from the car, but didn’t find them, Cerletti said. Back at the house, the victim told police she had forgotten to close her front garage door before going to bed. The burglars allegedly went into the open garage and took her car, but didn’t enter the house, Cerletti said.The vehicle did not appear to be damaged.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Feb 3 2009 RICHMOND: FOUR MEN CHARGED IN ALLEGED HATE CRIME BEATING

The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s office filed hate crime charges today against four white men who allegedly beat up a UPS worker because he is black, Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French said.Steven Kinney, 18, Andrew Word, 19, Victor Faria, 18, and Richard Lange, 20, have each been charged with assault with a deadly weapon, felony battery and an enhancement for allegedly committing a hate crime, French said. Lange also faces an additional charge for violating his probation.Three other men who were arrested in connection with the attack have not been charged and were to be released from county jail today, French said.The attack was reported at about 3 a.m. Jan. 24 at a park in the 3500 block of Morningside Drive, police Sgt. Roger Buhlis said.The victim had left work and walked to a nearby gas station where he asked around for a ride home, Buhlis said. A group of young men offered him a ride. The suspects were drinking and allegedly invited the victim to drink with them.They stopped at a park and the UPS worker went to the restroom, where one of the men struck him in the back of the head. The others then allegedly joined in the beating, which left the victim with six facial fractures.During the attack, the suspects allegedly yelled racial epithets, police said.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Feb 3 2009 ANTIOCH: SUSPECT IN BOWLING ALLEY SHOOTING CHARGED AS AN ADULT

An alleged gang member accused of shooting at rival gang members outside a bowling alley in Antioch on Jan. 24 has been charged as an adult, Antioch police said today.The suspect, a 17-year-old Byron resident, has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon, discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner, violating his probation and enhancements for allegedly being a gang member, according to Antioch police Sgt. Diane Aguinaga.The shooting followed an alleged argument between two groups of rival gang members, Nortenos and Surenos, that began shortly before 7:30 p.m. inside Delta Bowl at 3300 Delta Fair Blvd., Aguinaga said.The two groups moved outside and continued to argue, but when it appeared that the group of Surenos was leaving, the suspect, an alleged Norteno, allegedly pulled out a handgun and shot several rounds at the fleeing Surenos.Off-duty deputies with the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s office happened to be at the bowling alley that night and witnessed the alleged shooting.They notified Antioch police of the shooting and chased the suspects, but didn’t catch them, police said. Delta Bowl, however, has security cameras that recorded the shooting and police were able to identify the suspect.After his arrest he confessed to the shooting, Aguinaga said.The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s office filed charges against him Thursday, Aguinaga said.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited

Feb 3, 2009 RICHMOND: POLICE SEEK WITNESSES TO MURDER OF TWO BROTHERS

Richmond police are still looking for witnesses to a shooting late Saturday morning that left two brothers dead, but so far don’t have any suspects or leads, Detective Eric Haupt said today.”It happened at 11:20 a.m. on a Saturday. We know that there’s people out there who saw it,” Haupt said.Ron Boughton, 20, had been helping his brother Brian Boughton, 19, move out of his apartment in the area of 21 16th St. when a man approached them, shot them both and then fled the area, police said.  The suspect was described only as a man in his early 20s, reportedly wearing a dark sweatshirt and dark baseball cap, police said.Although investigators have not determined a motive for the shooting, Haupt said it appears that Brian Boughton could have been the intended target.”Ron Boughton was a real clean kid,” Haupt said, but his brother had a criminal history and was mixed up in a local street faction known as “Maine Line,” which operates in the area around South Fourth Street and Maine Avenue, Haupt said.According to court records, Brian Boughton was on probation for a February, 2008 conviction for being an accessory to a felony.The apartment he was moving out of was in an area controlled by a rival faction known as “Murder Row,” which operates in the area along Chanslor Avenue from about 15th Street to 19th Street, Haupt said.Brian Boughton had been living in the apartment with his girlfriend and their baby for about three months, but was moving back to the “Maine Line” area when he was killed.As it does with all homicides, the city of Richmond is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter.Police are particularly interested in talking to one witness who has been telling people he saw the shooting and saw the gunman fleeing the area, Haupt said.Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to call the Richmond Police Department at (510) 233-1214.People who wish to remain anonymous can call the police department’s tip line at (510) 232-8477.Anonymous witnesses are assigned a number and can still be eligible for reward money without ever having to give their name or testify in court, according to Haupt.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons