General Crime

*Jan 5, Pittsburg Man killed Over Relatives $10 Marijuana Purchase

Fugitive Watch Logo 77x77px

*Jan 4, Oakland Family And Friends Of Fatal Bart Shooting Vict. Speak Out
*Jan 4, Sonoma Man Allegedly Kills Roommate
*Jan 4, CHP DUI Arrest Of 227 Mirrior Stats From 07

Jan 5, 2009 PITTSBURG: MAN ALLEGEDLY KILLED OVER RELATIVE’S $10 MARIJUANA PURCHASE

Police arrested a Pittsburg teenager Sunday night for allegedly gunning down a 32-year-old man because of a dispute over a $10 marijuana purchase, Pittsburg police Lt. Brian Addington said today.Police received a call at about 4:45 p.m. Saturday reporting that a man had been shot and was lying in the street in front of his house in the 200 block of Rose Ann Avenue.The victim, Xavier Fernandez Jr. had been shot multiple times. He was transported to Sutter Delta Medical Center in Antioch, where he died from his injuries about 45 minutes later.The incident appears to have begun earlier that afternoon when a 19-year-old relative of the victim went with a family member and some friends to pick up some pizza. On their way home, they stopped at a local market to get drinks, Addington said.While they were inside the market, the victim’s relative saw someone who had allegedly sold him $10 worth of marijuana two months earlier. “He apparently felt that he didn’t get enough marijuana for the small price he had paid and confronted him,” Addington said The person allegedly ignored the victim’s relative and left the store.The group then confronted the alleged marijuana seller again and a 17-year-old friend of the victim’s relative pulled a knife on him. They let him go when they determined that he didn’t have any money on him, Addington said. Upset about having been threatened with a knife, the alleged marijuana seller gathered some friends and drove by the victim’s house, firing shots as they passed, according to Addington. They then got out of the vehicle and went to confront the victim’s relative, Addington said.Hearing the gunfire, Fernandez armed himself with a billy club and went outside, where a 16-year-old boy allegedly pulled out a gun and shot him several times, Addington said.  Police arrested the alleged shooter at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday. They have identified most of the five or six people who were with the alleged shooter, but hadn’t made any additional arrests as of this afternoon.The 16-year-old boy was booked into juvenile hall on suspicion of
murder and negligent discharge of a firearm.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Jan 4, 2009 OAKLAND FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF FATAL BART SHOOTING VICTIM SPEAK OUT, POLICE RELEASE LITTLE INFO

Cephus Johnson had tears in his eyes today as he recalled the last text message he would ever send to his 22-year-old nephew. “Happy New Year … I love you,” the message sent at 12:49 a.m. Thursdayread.Johnson never received a response. “I wondered why he didn’t text me back, and then I found out why,” Johnson said. Oscar Grant III, the best man at Johnson’s wedding and known to his family as being a loving father, a hard worker and a sports enthusiast, was fatally shot by a Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer at Oakland’s Fruitvale station about an hour after his uncle sent him the text message on New Year’s Day. BART officers responded to the station to reports of a fight on a train around 2 a.m. The train Grant was on stopped at the station to let the officers break up the supposed brawl.BART Police Chief Gary Gee released a statement today that said, “On behalf of the BART Police Department and the entire BART organization, we want to express our condolences to the family of Oscar Grant. I want to assure Mr. Grant’s family and the public that we are taking this investigation very seriously.” Mario Pangelina, who is the brother of Grant’s daughter’s mother and was riding on the same train but two cars behind, said, “There was so much commotion.” Pangelina and other witnesses said Grant was begging not to get Tasered because he had a 4-year-old daughter. “He was not acting hostile,” Pangelina said. Other witnesses said Grant presented no threat to anyone and was lying on his stomach on the station’s platform with his back to the officers when he was shot. Then a bullet entered Grant’s back and ricocheted to his lung area, killing him almost immediately, according to John Burris, an Oakland civil rights attorney who was hired by Grant’s family to investigate the death. “He was not doing anything of a threatening nature to the officer,” Burris said. Gee said in the statement, “As frustrating as it is, I want to stress that we cannot and will not jeopardize this case by discussing details before the investigation is complete.” He also stated, “This case is not even four days old – we are in the early stages of the investigation and will do a thorough job.” Burris, who has filed numerous lawsuits against police departments on behalf of family members of those who have been shot and killed by officers, announced at a news conference today he plans to file a $25 million lawsuit Monday. Burris said he will also urge the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office to consider filing criminal charges against the officer who shot Grant.Video recordings of the shooting taken by witnesses have since surfaced, and BART police reportedly confiscated numerous other cell phones from witnesses that Burris said he believes contain additional footage. BART officials have said the officer’s gun discharged, which Burris vehemently disagrees with.”This was an intentional pulling of the trigger,” Burris said today. Gee’s statement said BART investigators are reviewing all evidence and are cooperating with the Alameda County District Attorney’s office, which is also conducting an investigation. He asked the public to refrain from jumping to conclusions.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Jan 4, 2009 SONOMA CO.: MAN ALLEGEDLY KILLS ROOMMATE WITH BLUNT INSTRUMENT

A 46-year-old man suspected of killing his roommate in the community of Monte Rio near Guerneville by striking him multiple times in the skull with a blunt instrument Friday has been arrested, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department. On Friday, a woman contacted the Monte Rio Fire Department and
said a man, later identified as Brett Matz, had just left her business after telling her he killed his roommate.The business owner told fire personnel Matz was last seen walking adjacent the fire department toward Starrett Hill.  Fire department staff looked toward Starrett Hill and saw Matz leaning over a roadside guardrail on Middle Terrace Road, according to the sheriff’s department. They believed he was in distress and contacted him in the 9000 block of Middle Terrace Road. He allegedly told fire personnel he had killed his roommate.  A Monte Rio Fire Department employee walked to Matz’ residence and forcibly entered to check on the roommate’s welfare. The body of the roommate was located inside. Fire personnel remained at the home with Matz and summoned law enforcement. At about 3:50 p.m., sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the home. Once deputies determined the death was suspicious they detained Matz and requested detectives from the sheriff’s department violent crimes unit, along with the crime scene investigations unit.Detectives worked through the night and into the morning conducting interviews and processing the crime scene.Matz’ roommate appeared to have been struck multiple times with a blunt force instrument to the skull causing massive head trauma, according to information gathered by detectives.The name of the victim and the cause of death are being withheld pending further investigation and notification of next of kin.Matz is being held without bail at the Sonoma County Main Adult Detention Facility in Santa Rosa, according to the sheriff’s department.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Jan 4, 2009  DUI ARRESTS MIRROR STATS IN ’07, FATALITIES UP

California Highway Patrol officers have arrested 227 drunken drivers in the Bay Area and one motorist has died so far during their maximum enforcement period that continues through Tuesday.That number is the same as last year’s total for the same reporting period, which began Wednesday at 6 p.m. and ended today at 6 a.m.Three fatal collisions have been reported in the Bay Area since Wednesday evening. There was one fatal collision reported last year during the same reporting period, according to the CHP.

Copyright © 2009 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse
without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons